Thursday, January 20, 2011

TILLIE TAILS

Front paws down on the ground, tail lofty, and wiggle the hoisted butt. Lots of rolling around on the ground and urgent need for a tummy rub. Yowling for 5-10 minutes at a time. Ah, the non-joy of feline ovulation. Tillie has experienced her first “heat.”

She was acting a bit odd for a few days and then progressed to profound annoyance for three days. Tillie is about eight and a half months old but since she has some Norwegian Forest Cat heritage I thought that her ovulation would be delayed (NorFors mature more slowly than other breeds). I plan to have her reproductive organs removed but need to delay until the weather gets warmer. She could travel safely to the veterinarian but I don’t want to bring home a post-op cat in a cold car. No opportunity for her to get outside since all the windows are sealed for winter and I watch to make sure no cat sneaks out the door. I did notice a lot of cat prints in the snow so male cats in the neighborhood must of smelled her as I went in and out of the house.

Poor Zozo, five years old and already spayed, Tillie would get into position and shake her butt in Zozo’s face. Much to Zo’s chagrin this occurred frequently throughout the three days. She would run to me to hide her from Tillie under the blanket when I was sitting on the couch or else beg to go downstairs where Tillie isn’t permitted, yet. I am almost done with cleaning, organizing and adding insulation to the basement.

When I was a kid, our dog Toto would go into heat at least once per year. We would have to guard her against the amorous attentions of male dogs. She never got pregnant and lived to be 18 years old. I don’t remember any odd behavior except that Toto would drip an amber hued liquid from her behind and be very whiney for a few days.

Tillie’s an adolescent cat now!
© 2011

No comments: