Tuesday, March 2, 2010

GRASS IS GREENER

It is so belittling to register for unemployment weekly. I prefer to be on the other side of the fence, and provide assistance to others rather than to be a recipient. At least I am able to register on-line because the phone system takes a long time to navigate. I work part time so I don’t qualify most weeks. I only qualify if my schedule changes and I put in more hours one week rather than an even 20 hours each week. However, I am grateful for the funds – every penny helps since I have been in deficit since last July. My savings account is dwindling down.

I have held many jobs since turning 16 including mail-clerk, retail store clerk and all-around proletarian (aka entry-level jobs). There is nothing wrong with profit driven corporate businesses but is more acceptable when the wealth is distributed on an equitable basis. Some companies are to be applauded in their efforts to bring equity. We have all been impacted by the sin of greed, even if we did not practice it in our own life. The corporate executives need to get out in the field with their entry-level employees for an extended period (more than a site visit) and get a real grip on reality. Perhaps they wouldn’t reward themselves with a 10 million dollar paycheck while their lowest paid employee has to obtain food stamps to feed their family.

The program “Undercover Boss” is a good idea but the boss really needs to spend at least 40 hours in each job without a film crew present. It takes six months to learn a job but a week is better than a few hours. Otherwise, it is just an hour long commercial for the company trying to reduce public ire over corporate CEO compensation. I’ve met many executive staffers who consider themselves to be superior. I am rather cynical of “reality tv” unless the cameras are hidden and there is no fancy editing. Otherwise, it is just a staged show edited for emotional content.

A friend of mine used to work for a New York City investment firm. She is deeply concerned that several brokers have now taken over many large banks and other financial institutions, especially on Wall Street. This is due to the Type A – all for the moment – personality of the typical broker. I know a few folks who have worked in this capacity and I must agree. Many brokers are thoughtful but it is a concern when the short-term (less than a year) profit goals supersede the long-term future of investments. We will end up in a worse position than the Great Recession of 2008-10+. Regulations are required since you can’t trust greedy people to keep their money-addiction in control. The executives who cut jobs often write in a golden parachute for themselves and get a bonus for ruining people’s lives. They don’t have to grovel for unemployment checks each week and worry about a mortgage payment…

Greed “money addiction” & clueless corporate executive are bad.
© 2010

No comments: