Monday, January 16, 2012

MYSTERY MICROBE

It began with a slight sore throat on Tuesday. I foolishly believed it was due to the dry winter air. I took a nap and was refreshed. Wednesday it progressed to a subtle lung congestion accompanied by an occasional cough or sneeze. My sinuses joined the foray into illness by the afternoon. Consumed an over the counter (OTC) medicine to reduce congestion but all it did was make me restless during the night. Did not sleep very much adding to misery.

I felt awful, probably a 6 on a scale of 10 being the worst. Body ache, inability to breathe properly, fatigue, and lack of brain concentration are my woes. Add in menses to the mix and I am not a happy camper. “Happy Camper” does that mean that all people who venture into the woods are joyful? I think not. Anyway, this cold could be worse but it’s not fun. Blissful nap on Thursday helped and I managed to actually conduct job search during the afternoon. Took a different OTC medication for the evening and I managed to sleep part of the night. It is most helpful to utilize the CPAP machine to gain access to sleepyland.

Friday morning still felt bad but the scale had reduced to 5. The internal sinus pressure makes the odd sensation of a balloon tightened around one’s skull. I know enough not to overexert myself during the healing time. I didn’t get a flu shot this season. I dread influenza because it becomes the knock down three-week version of the virus. I’ve also had pneumonia and serious sinus infections in the past. Vomiting is a wretched sensation that I abhor. Coughing up phlegm is a close second. Thankfully, this seems to be a typical cold virus and through rest and lots of water will clear up soon. A friend suggested using a Netti Pot but I do not own one.

I need my energy to devote to job search and accomplishing tasks. Lying on a couch and moaning are not acceptable activities. I usually don’t mind living alone except when I am lonely, overwhelmed or ill. It would be nice to have someone around to fuss over me. Make spicy tomato soup (add onions, garlic, ginger, and hot pepper), peppermint-chamomile tea, and rush me to the doctor if I become profoundly ill. The cats will cuddle with me on the couch but they dash away when I sneeze. My mom likes to say, “It’s for the birds.” What? Why would you give illness to a bird and what would a bird to with the cold? Some colloquial phrases are too weird to explain.

Continued to suffer through the weekend. Today, Monday I am finally on the mend, probably 4 out of the 10-point misery scale. I have an interview later this week so I must recover. Piles of used Kleenexes await addition to the compost bin. Let Nature destroy the evil microbes that caused my body pain and brain fogginess. Never take good health for granted. Illness is most definitely for the birds.

Cold fly away!
© 2012 Ima B. Musing

No comments: