Sunday, September 30, 2012

WALK THE CREATIVE PATH

Friendly, imaginative, community-minded attendees were not a surprise. Neither was the high caliber plenary sessions nor fabulous workshops a bolt from the blue. The after-hour soirees and luncheon were lovely. A revelation was the joyous environment of the “Hacker Space” room guarded by a funky Spoon & Cherry catapult. Populated by affable TC Makers, it was clearly the most dynamic space of the NAMAC 2012 Conference. People giggled, smiled, and were proud of their creative efforts. Experimental rhythms and beats surrounded Beatrix*Jar’s music table. The relaxed atmosphere provided the opportunity to fool around, which is sorely needed by adults. I strongly recommend that all future NAMAC gatherings include a creative space component. www.tcmaker.org www.beatrixjar.com

Life is sequential, however its not always clear where the path will lead so sometime you just have to go with the proverbial flow… my path to NAMAC was searching employment listings on the Springboard for the Arts website. I happened upon a posting seeking 2012 Conference volunteers. www.namac.org www.springboardforthearts.org

The National Alliance for Media Arts and Culture was a mystery to me. I was intrigued by the nonprofit organization, especially since they were seeking documentarians to help record the event. I rearranged my schedule, signed up to donate my time, and ventured to the Conference. The most common questions from attendees were “Where to eat” and “What to do” so I posted helpful hints on my personal blog.

I greatly enjoyed attending part of the Native American Public Telecommunications (NAPT) Producer Workshop. Moving-image makers participated to develop relationships and discuss a variety of topics. www.nativetelecom.org Gulgun Kayim permitted me to interview her for the NAMAC blog. www.namac.org/conference/gulgun-kayim-minneapolis-arts-culture-creative-economy-namac-2012-leading-creatively I then viewed the transmedia Prison Dancer with commentary by Ana Serrano of the Canadian Film Centre. It’s original material was divided into a series posted on YouTube with an interactive website to build critical mass. The “Pak Yow” rap video has become a mainstream viral hit. www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Nv_mp0LFoU

After attending meetings, I was moved to tears by the documentary, The Power of Two. www.thepoweroftwomovie.com/home “Why We Do This” installation by Andy DuCett was a proper finale for the Conference. The exhibit at The Soap Factory site and was wild & wacky. It was fun to charge through the line of football players with a long-stemmed rose clutched in my teeth. www.soapfactory.org The only challenge now is how to stay connected to such a vibrant group of people…

Go forth and create!
© 2012 Ima B. Musing

No comments: