Saturday, September 21, 2013

NEW AMERICAN REVOLUTION


Head, intellectual satisfaction (seeking logic in an illogical world);
Heart, what feels right (emotional connection); and,
Hands, doing good (taking social action).
The Three H's of an Adult.

It is important to seek the Three Hs in your life. We each have a responsibility to assist others, as well as, knowing and feeling that we are having a positive impact on the planet. It doesn’t matter how big or small your efforts are its imperative that you try, every day, to do something “good.”

Some days I can only manage to permit others to merge in traffic but other days I volunteer. I donate money and stuff when I have the means (sadly, my budget has been growing leaner for four years). I give my extra garden produce to people who live in apartments and extras to the food shelf.

"The gulf between the richest 1 percent and the rest of America is the widest it's been since the Roaring '20s. The very wealthiest Americans earned more than 19 percent of the country's household income last year—their biggest share since 1928, the year before the stock market crash. And the top 10 percent captured a record 48.2 percent of total earnings last year." Article written by Paul Wiseman and published in the Pioneer Press on September 10, 2013
www.twincities.com/business/ci_24059283/top-1-percent-took-record-share-2012-us

There is nothing wrong with wealth. Unfortunately, the wealthy tend to donate a smaller percentage of their income, not make as many in-kind donations, or volunteer as much as middle-class or limited income people.

I am quite disturbed when I read that wealthy people are less generous per capita than poor people. Poor people donate more of a percentage of their income than those of financial means, which is opposite of what should be occurring. Not all financially blessed people are so heartless but it is perplexing. Why do they fight “entitlement” programs that provide services to the poor and bless tax-loopholes that make the rich richer? It is illogical. This type of imbalance will lead to a 21st Century American Revolution, akin to the French Revolution.

I was raised in a working class lower-middle income/upper-low income household. My parents worked but my sister had a lot of medical bill so we only had necessities. I didn’t realize that we were poor until high school, though I was teased mercilessly in grade school for wearing my sister’s hand-me-down clothes. I worked and took on debt to obtain a Master degree. I have been cursed with unemployment and underemployment in wake of the Great Recession/21st Century Depression. My middle-class income has been reduced to working poor status. I am still seeking a better paying job and fear losing my home. I wonder if my educational efforts were for naught. I am poor like my ancestors, it is heart breaking. Difficult to seek the 3Hs when hopelessness bites you.

Reduce the Gulf!
Copyright © 2013 by Ima B. Musing; All rights reserved.

No comments: