Friday, September 13, 2013

CIRCLING THE PIT, Part I

“Don’t tell anyone,” is the worst phrase ever contrived. Secrets can only lead to bad stuff. Granted, a surprise party is nice but it can actually shock the honoree into an unpleasant experience. My dear friend Roopa called to tell me that she suspected that her husband of ten years was cheating on her. I was shocked. Her hubby, Scott, is an amiable person. He has always been courteous and clearly devoted to her and the kids.

Scott started working out of state a couple months ago and returns home for a long weekend once per month. During his last visit home he chatted on the phone with a female colleague for over an hour, which piqued Roopa’s interest. She confronted him and he denied. Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt. Roopa probably didn’t help by calling the woman and yelling, “Scott is married with two children” after he had returned to his city of employment.

Roopa is frantic with worry and anger. She is circling the pit of despair. Sadly, I have been there myself. One time I suspected that a boyfriend was cheating and we broke up. He actually was dating another woman and married her. My dad cheated on my mom with another man so he didn’t consider it an affair. Their marriage somehow survived. I could only advise that Roopa see a licensed and experienced marriage counselor, stay away from the pit with positive distraction, and take care of herself.

I hope that Scott isn’t a low down cheater. I hope that they will meet with a marriage counselor to repair their relationship. However, if Roopa does get a divorce I will still be her friend. I am the only person besides her sister that she has told. Unfortunately, I am sworn to secrecy. Actually, this column won’t be published until she has confided in others. I don’t want to be the one to spill these beans.

Your cheatin’ heart
Copyright © 2013 by Ima B. Musing; All rights reserved.

No comments: