Tuesday, December 20, 2011

NEARING THE END

“We are mailing you this letter because you are currently receiving Federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC). If you run out of EUC benefits, the next program would be the Federal-State Extended Benefits (EB). However, the EB program is ending soon. As a result, you may have only limited eligibility for that program. If you run out of EUC benefits before January 8, 2012, you may be eligible for ED Benefits through the week of January 8, 2012. Under federal law, the EB program will end in Minnesota with the week of January 8, 2012.”

Quoted above is the letter I received from the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development. Ho-ho-smackdown. My EUC benefits have been exhausted and I don’t know if I qualify for the EB program, which will be ending because Minnesota’s unemployment rate has dropped. That is completely unfair to those of us who are still seeking. I hope that Governor Dayton is able to procure a waiver so that the EB program will be continued.

I am frightened of not being able to locate temporary work to pay the bills as I continue to seek permanent full time employment. It will greatly reduce my time to seek a job since it takes many hours to locate positions on line. The Internet has not made the process easier. It reduces the cost of printing and mailing resumes but the time spent looking at 100 websites instead of an hour or two with the Sunday newspaper is not a fair trade. I’ve sent out 374 resumes and been rejected by 16 interviews. Fear and anxiety are raising and I don’t have insurance coverage to see a psychiatrist. I just hope that depression doesn’t get added to the mix, it is torture to be anxious and depressed simultaneously.

I am utterly frustrated that United States Congress has not passed the extension of EUC and EB benefits. They plan to cut low-income energy assistance, employment training, and FEMA programs, which are safety nets for people like me. Congress plans to increase funds for the military despite the ending of the Iraq war, which is totally ridiculous. (NOTE: Members of the Armed Forces should never get pay or benefits cut. Funding should be reduced for hiring contractors and lining the pockets of corporations.) The Tax Zombies are holding everyone hostage. I applaud the efforts of www.nolabels.org for showing how stupid pledges are for any elected official.

Hire the long-term unemployed, like ME!
2011 © Ima B. Musing

No comments: